Monday, September 6, 2010

The Best Cake in Town



For my entire 21 years of existence, I have tasted a lot of cakes. There have been good ones and bad ones, but there has only been one constant - Hizon's mocha cake. More after the jump.




Sorry every other cake baker in the metro, there is but one cake worthy to claim the throne of best cake in the city, and that is Hizon's; and it's been that way since 1946. Hizon's has been our family's choice of cake for as long as I've been alive. Every single birthday, every year, this is what we have. And it's tasted exactly the same since I was one to now when I'm twenty-one.

It's a perfectly simple cake. Mocha chiffon, dulce de leche-ish middle filling, and buttercream frosting. But no one even comes near to the consistent quality that it brings every time. There is a video that describes the texture of the chiffon perfectly.



And to everyone that doesn't know, there's only one way to eat Hizon's cake - microwaved. Really, go ahead and try it. Try eating it the regular, old fashioned way, and then try it after microwaving for around 20 seconds and melting the frosting. You now have a new favorite cake. You're welcome.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a yummy lemon meringue from Hizon's waiting for me in the ref.

No comments:

Post a Comment